Peyton Kendall (Philosophy/Classics and Ancient Mediterranean Studies, ’22)

We asked our graduating seniors to tell us a bit about their time studying philosophy at Bucknell. This week and next, we’ll be showcasing our students’ answers.

Favorite philosophy class at Bucknell: I’d have to say Philosophy of Art. It cemented my love of axiology and value theory, was a small class with superb instruction and conversation, and of course, included a nice dose of Kant.

Favorite philosopher, philosophical quote, or philosophical question: As much as I hate to say it, Kant has won me over. His philosophy is comprehensive, internally coherent, and relatively infallible, despite him being one of the worst writers I’ve ever had the displeasure of reading.

Favorite memory from a philosophy class or philosophy department event?: The first class I took with Professor Turner was Ethics, when classes were mostly virtual. He emailed us an audio recording for the first class, which was strangely punctuated by lines such as “Shut up old man!” As it would turn out, he was allegedly talking to an imagined Socrates…

What are your plans post-graduation?: I’m starting work on June 6th (D Day felt oddly fitting) as a Client Strategy Analyst at Targeted Victory, a political marketing firm in Arlington, VA.

How do you see philosophy as guiding you after graduation?: In a pragmatic sense, philosophy has cultivated an ability to critically analyze and consider every conceivable angle of an argument and ground them in various philosophical traditions. Bigger picture, it forces me to constantly contemplate what I can know, what I ought to know, and what I can hope for.

Anything else?: I’ve recently decided to campaign for the Classics and Ancient Mediterranean Studies Department to require Greek Philosophy for majors, so I’ll take this opportunity for a shameless plug.