Yubo Du (Philosophy, ’21)

Congratulations on all of your successes, Yubo!

We asked our graduating seniors to tell us a bit about their time studying philosophy at Bucknell. This week, we’ll be showcasing our students’ answers.

Favorite philosophy class at Bucknell. What did you like about it?

It has to be Metaphysics! The class involved not only enlightening lectures on profound topics but also many thoughtful discussions among peers, so I enjoyed it a lot!

Favorite philosopher, philosophical quote, or philosophical question (someone or something that you may have returned to again and again).  What do you like about them/it?

My favorite philosopher is Immanuel Kant who said that rational human beings should be treated as an end in themselves, not as a means to something else.

Favorite memory from a philosophy class or philosophy department event?

Having pizzas and snacks at the ends of semesters!

Do you have plans post-graduation?  If so, what are they?  This can be further education, a job, travel/experience plans, etc

Last September, my friends and I founded an online consulting platform called FindSelf, which aims to provide mental health services for overseas Chinese students. Since the platform grew quite robustly and attracted more than 8,000 users in the past few months, I will probably keep working at the corporation for the rest of this year! Then, I plan to go to grad school in Education.

How do you see philosophy as guiding you after graduation?

Philosophy taught me how to think critically and see both sides of every story. This comprehensive view has helped me identify and avoid unnecessary risks, thereby making the right decisions for my life.

Anything else you’d like to say about your time studying philosophy at Bucknell?

Studying philosophy here at Bucknell is the sweetest memory I’ve had so far. Absolutely loved it!