Sara Butler (Philosophy/Physics, ’21)

We asked our graduating seniors to tell us a bit about their time studying philosophy at Bucknell. This week, we’ll be showcasing our students’ answers.

Congratulations to Sara Butler on winning the Fulbright fellowship to study quantum optics with the University of Vienna’s Aspelmeyer Group!

Favorite philosophy class at Bucknell. What did you like about it?

Philosophy of Being and Becoming. It was my first introduction to really metaphysical concepts and it sparked my interest in space and time.

Favorite philosopher, philosophical quote, or philosophical question (someone or something that you may have returned to again and again).  What do you like about them/it?

What are the topological features of time?

I like that the topological structure of time motivates the union of philosophy, mathematics, and theoretical cosmology.

Favorite memory from a philosophy class or philosophy department event?

Burritos and listing to faculty research.

Do you have plans post-graduation?  If so, what are they?  This can be further education, a job, travel/experience plans, etc

Fulbright in Vienna, Austria pursuing research in quantum gravity with the Aspelmeyer Group, then off to Yale (PhD in high energy particle theory, physics). YAY!

How do you see philosophy as guiding you after graduation?

Philosophy will continue to guide and focus my interests in physical research. It will ensure that I do not become too absorbed in physics that I forget my passion for understanding the universe.

Anything else you’d like to say about your time studying philosophy at Bucknell?

I am so sad to be leaving a department filled what I know to be the best professors I will ever encounter in my career.